Palmerston NZ, not to be confused with Palmerston North, is located in the Otago region of the South Island. Palmerston is a small rural town with a small population of only 795 in 2013.
Things to see and do
There are plenty of things to do and see in this small community.
- Moeraki Boulders Café, Bar and Gift Shop
- Palmerston and Waihemo A&P show
- Shag Point Nature ReservePalmerston i-SITE Visitor Information Centre
- Springbank Farm Riding School
- OceanaGold Tours Day Tour
Accommodations in Palmerston are one motel, the Pioneer Motel. Shopping in Palmerston includes; The Plaza (mall) with many stores to choose from, a supermarket, the Fish and chips shop casual dining, and auto parts store. Places near Palmerston are Shag Point which is 9.3 km, Bushey is 5.6 km, Glen Park is 7.3 km all of which are also small towns.
Shipping containers in Palmerston
A few uses that Palmerston could benefit from shipping containers are;
- Theater to show movies and have plays
- Offices & Medical clinic
- Gallery for art and crafts
- Vocational school for learning skills such as carpentry, welding, sewing, cooking, nursing and more
- Shelter for natural disasters
- Gyms and sports clinics
- Swimming pools
- Self-storage units
Those are just some of the ways recycled shipping containers could be used to the advantage of residents and tourists. If something in the list sparked an idea for you, you should research it and bring your dream to life.
In order to get a recycled shipping container to use for your idea, you need to find a licensed recycler and modifier. Things to look for in hiring a shipping container contractor are;
- Do they do modification or just the recycling phase
- What types of modifications can they do
- Speak to previous clients
There are several modifications that will be needed to be done depending on the use you have in mind for your container. A swimming pool will need different modifications than a store or school.
Basic modifications are;
- Doors can be standard home doors, commercial doors, or roll up doors
- Windows will be home or business windows, either office, store, or eatery
- Insulation to help heat and cool
- Electrical for lightening, appliances in a kitchen, business equipment such as printer/copiers, computers
- Plumbing for bathrooms or kitchen
It may be best to talk to a shipping container architect to make sure you end up with all the alterations you need.
The container buildings can be stacked to provide 2 or more floors, and they can also be placed side by side using open-sided containers in order to make the area wider.
Palmerston can help its community grow while being eco-friendly with recycled shipping containers that leave a smaller carbon footprint while opening theaters, arts, and crafts, a medical clinic or other needed business and resources.